Skip to main content

The problems we cause ourselves - Issac Azimov - Being too Blunt

I know you do.  Specifically, though, you lack the ability to handle ordinary people-shall we say, stupid people.  You lack a certain deviousness, a certain ability to sidestep, and if you are dealing with someone who is both powerful in government and somewhat stupid, you can easily endanger the Project and, for that matter, your own life, simply because you are too frank.

from: Hari Seldon, talking to Tamwile Elar   Issac Azimov,  Forward the Foundation 

I have a problem.  Well, I have many problems, but for today I am focusing on bluntness.  I definitely have a lack of political facility as I speak my mind before I think about how it'll affect things.  I definitely afflict myself with my attitude of not suffering fools gladly.  Oh yes, and I don't think about the people aspect enough when making "suggestions" for changes in things.  "You should" and "we should" absolutely flow from my mouth too much, both in speed and frequency.

People in organizations generally don't put the organization first.  They put themselves first.  Self preservation is the a basic driving force and I forget about it too much.  Especially when dealing with bosses.  I have the bad habit of providing input for improvements.  This bit me in the ass with a particularly incompetent department head.  First he tried to get me fired.  But I survived that onslaught.  Later, in a moment of openness, he confessed that I should be the department head as I have much better ideas than he does.

I remember hearing in the "Learning How to Learn" MOOC that Barbara Oakley said that some people will do evil to you and good people need to be careful about dealing with them.  I assume that her thoughts are in her book: "Evil Genes," which is on my reading list.

Anyway, the adage "Think before you speak" is absolutely on my todo list as well!  When I feel the immediate urge to respond with someone in a parallel or superior position, I try REALLY HARD to remember that.  And sometimes I fail.   [DELETE DELETE DELETE - There was a story here about someone, but I think it is too close to the truth and it wouldn't do me any good if I put it out there to the cloud.  AHA, I once again thought before I spoke published.]

So, I have mentioned before my need to have context for the quotes I use.  The context for today's quote reminded me of another quote/context.  The context for today's quote is that Hari Seldon is speaking to his second-in-charge and explaining about why the underling, at the present time, wouldn't be good at running the Project. (The Project is about Psychohistory, or predicting the future mathematically.)  It ends up that Elar was quite devious and successfully plotted to kill Hari's robot wife and protector in a plan to take over the Project.

This twist reminded me of the context of the quote, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."  I remembered hearing that it was said by an Arab prince who was later decapitated.  Ah yes, the twist.  So this "truth" ended up killing a ruler!  Brilliant side note to put in my blog!  But then again, researching this I found out that is was (incorrectly) said by Spock.  Actually, it is commonly attributed to the Arabs but researchers claim that it was actually said by the Machiavellian-like Indian royal adviser Chanakya.  Another interesting side note ruined by the truth.

Gratitudes:  Wikipedia, flex-time, donuts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't trust a skinny cook - Vinne Vrotny - Teacher Hypocrisy

Adults want comfort, but expect students to go into [the] discomfort zone.  Are we hypocrites?  from Vinnie Vrotny - Blog post    Multi-faceted Refractions I live with the thought that I am a hypocrite.  I am a teacher almost every day I implore, cajole, push, and pull students to learn more about the immediate subject and themselves.  And yet I feel guilty when I don't do the same thing. To find today's quote, I Googled "quotes teacher hypocrisy" and got no love.  I got quotes from Don King, Malcom X, Alan Dershowitz (black pot) and others.  But no listed, no famous quotes about teachers and hypocrisy.   Then I Googled "teacher hypocrisy" and oh boy, were there hits!.   Grass roots education ;  Condor Voice ; I, Hypocrite Teache r; and today's quote were just a start.   I realized that I am not alone.   I must admit I also hate lazy teachers.  They are robbing students' time.  Teaching is a hard job, both emotionally and phy

Anger and Work - Toni Morrison - Tired of being angry

I get angry at things, then go on and work. from: Toni Morrison Author and Teacher Disclosure:  I know little about Toni Morrison.  Yes, I should read her writings.  But I have my own writings to get out of my head. I found this quote because I have become tired of being angry.  Maybe I should just scream myself into a coma, but I think I would still wake up anger.  Screw the Serenity Prayer.  Stuff admonitions of how anger is caused by fear.  Stifle thoughts of turning the other cheek.  Suffocate ideas of rising above.  Smother the idea that this is not productive.   But then, a sliver of sanity and the simplicity of Morrison's quote.  As I have written before, I like to find the origin of quotes I use, and this one I found (unless this is photoshopped ) So, my two options are to keep my hand in the fire or to move into action.  Since I am writing this, I have chosen movement.   This entry can be considered the equivalent of picking myself up and brushing myself off.

Constant Growth - Jack Kornfield - Shedding Old Skin

Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again. from:   Buddha’s Little Instruction Book I got this one from Good Reads website: And again I doubled search the source and found out that even though it is attributed to Gautama Buddha, it is really from Jack Kornfield.  Hats off to  Fake Buddha Quotes  “I Can't Believe It's Not Buddha!" website. I was pulled to this quote because what I am trying to do is start a new phase in my life.  I have done this before, as we all have.  Sometimes with more success than others.  But when I am getting discouraged, I think "How many rabbits can I pull out of my hat." The past for me, at this point, is to get rid of bad habits and substitute in better ones.  Unlike the snake, which has only one skin to shed, we have many "skins."  Laziness, Ennui, Memories, Weight, Sedentary days and nights, Wasting time, TV, Facebook, Instagram, Video games, Youtube, "What if's"