Skip to main content

Only lazy ones - Helena Rubinstein - Break the bad habits

There are no ugly women, only lazy ones.


from:  Helena RubinsteinImmigrant, Entrepreneur


I can hear it.  "OH MY GAWD!" "SEXIST" "UNBELIEVABLE"

Well, it is all about the context.  And if someone knows the context of this quote, please put it in the comments.


I picked this one today because I wanted something that was about BEING IN ACTION and breaking the lazy habit.  And this quote, in the context of our times, is provocative. But, it gets one thinking (that is if a person's cognitive biases prevents them from pursuing critical thinking).

I read this and thought:  This is about how you can always improve yourself. 

But why don't people improve themselves?  

Originally, my idea for today's quote was about how lying is intellectually lazy.  I have said this and thought that it must be a quote.  But searching the Google machine yielded nada.  I was very surprised.  Maybe, if some day I get published I will have a book title from it.

Any who, I got this idea because there was a news article today about how lying doesn't make your life easier.  It is based on reporting from UChicago titled:  People Can Afford to be More Honest Than They Think.  The researchers found out that people overestimate the disadvantages of being honest.  That they don't have to tell as many lies.  And there is even research that the more you do lie, the easier it gets.

So it looks a lot like lying is a habit and part of human nature.  Yet there are laws against lying in certain situations and certain professional groups require honesty.  As a lawyer, which many people consider lawyers less honest than used car salespeople, I belong to a group for which lying is verboten.  However, we are trained in the proper use of words and argument techniques to not lie.  And it is not the easiest cognition process in the world but most of us have mastered saying something without lying.  Hence, lying is intellectually lazy.

How does this relate to Rubinstein's quote?  Becoming more "beautiful" is a habit that can be developed.  Not lying is a habit that can be developed.  Eating properly is a habit that can be developed.  Saving money is a habit that can be developed.  Constantly improving yourself is a habit that can be developed.

And now comes my other quote:  "If it was easy for you, you'd already be doing it." Developing new habits is not easy.  And there is misinformation out there about how long it takes to develop a new habit: 21 days.  Current science research finds is it more like 66 days.  Here and Here.  

However, there are benefits of not being lazy and sticking out the 66 days.  Purposefully choosing an action takes more brain energy and reflexively following a habit.  I can tie a necktie while thinking of my day and having an intellectual conversation with my significant other.  But with a bowtie (which I wear maybe once every two years), I am lucky I remember to breathe while knotting.

Maybe some time in the future I'll get back to the above paragraph and put in the citations.  But my habit checklist is telling me it is time for my 9am artery-cleaning oatmeal.  

Choose good over easy.  Heh, maybe that's my third quote!  Get it?  Like Choose Eggs Over Easy?  Well, maybe if it has to be explained.....


Gratitudes:  fountain pen cartridges, Google Keep, and laundry detergent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't trust a skinny cook - Vinne Vrotny - Teacher Hypocrisy

Adults want comfort, but expect students to go into [the] discomfort zone.  Are we hypocrites?  from Vinnie Vrotny - Blog post    Multi-faceted Refractions I live with the thought that I am a hypocrite.  I am a teacher almost every day I implore, cajole, push, and pull students to learn more about the immediate subject and themselves.  And yet I feel guilty when I don't do the same thing. To find today's quote, I Googled "quotes teacher hypocrisy" and got no love.  I got quotes from Don King, Malcom X, Alan Dershowitz (black pot) and others.  But no listed, no famous quotes about teachers and hypocrisy.   Then I Googled "teacher hypocrisy" and oh boy, were there hits!.   Grass roots education ;  Condor Voice ; I, Hypocrite Teache r; and today's quote were just a start.   I realized that I am not alone.   I must admit I also hate lazy teachers.  They are robbing students' time.  Teaching is a hard job, both emotionally and phy

Anger and Work - Toni Morrison - Tired of being angry

I get angry at things, then go on and work. from: Toni Morrison Author and Teacher Disclosure:  I know little about Toni Morrison.  Yes, I should read her writings.  But I have my own writings to get out of my head. I found this quote because I have become tired of being angry.  Maybe I should just scream myself into a coma, but I think I would still wake up anger.  Screw the Serenity Prayer.  Stuff admonitions of how anger is caused by fear.  Stifle thoughts of turning the other cheek.  Suffocate ideas of rising above.  Smother the idea that this is not productive.   But then, a sliver of sanity and the simplicity of Morrison's quote.  As I have written before, I like to find the origin of quotes I use, and this one I found (unless this is photoshopped ) So, my two options are to keep my hand in the fire or to move into action.  Since I am writing this, I have chosen movement.   This entry can be considered the equivalent of picking myself up and brushing myself off.

Constant Growth - Jack Kornfield - Shedding Old Skin

Just as a snake sheds its skin, we must shed our past over and over again. from:   Buddha’s Little Instruction Book I got this one from Good Reads website: And again I doubled search the source and found out that even though it is attributed to Gautama Buddha, it is really from Jack Kornfield.  Hats off to  Fake Buddha Quotes  “I Can't Believe It's Not Buddha!" website. I was pulled to this quote because what I am trying to do is start a new phase in my life.  I have done this before, as we all have.  Sometimes with more success than others.  But when I am getting discouraged, I think "How many rabbits can I pull out of my hat." The past for me, at this point, is to get rid of bad habits and substitute in better ones.  Unlike the snake, which has only one skin to shed, we have many "skins."  Laziness, Ennui, Memories, Weight, Sedentary days and nights, Wasting time, TV, Facebook, Instagram, Video games, Youtube, "What if's"